Are you wondering about your fitness level?
Fitness is all about five things-together! – Strength, Power, Speed, Co-ordination and Endurance. These determine how fit you are!
• How much weight can you lift?
• How much control do you exert over your own body?
• How fast can you run?
• How long can you last?
Trying to look in better shape?
Strength- it is the ability to move something with your muscles. This shows how fit you are with strength. Start by the weight you think you can easily move. If you think you can go a bit heavy, give yourself a few days to move up to the next level.
Beginner: 0.79 x your body weight
Intermediate: 1.24 x your body weight
Advanced: 1.68 x your body weight
Elite: 2.13 x your body weight
Power- do not mix up power and strength. These are totally different. Power is time and strength to move something. Choose the weight you think you can easily lift. Let your muscles relax before going up to the next level.
Beginner: 0.95 x your body weight
Intermediate: 1.49 x your body weight
Advanced: 2.02 x your body weight
Elite: 2.55 x your body weight
Speed- it is an important part of fitness. It is all about how quickly your muscles engage. You can check your fitness level for speed by a rowing test.
Beginner: 2:20 minutes
Intermediate: 2 minutes
Advanced: 1:50 minutes
Elite: 1:40 minutes
Co-ordination & Control- maintaining a good form is hard when there is so much physical demand on your body. Push-ups show coordination and control your body has because it challenges you.
Beginner: 5 to 10 reps
Intermediate: 25 reps
Advanced: 1-arm push-up, 1 rep per side
Elite: 1-arm push-up, 5 reps per side
Endurance- one of the most important and crucial thing. This is all about how long you can last. Running is the best sport to check your fitness.
Beginner: 9 minutes
Intermediate: 7 minutes
Advanced: 6 minutes
Elite: 5 minutes
Studies have shown that physical activity can improve mental health and well-being. This improvement is due to an increase in blood flow to the brain allowing for the release of hormones as well as a decrease stress hormones in the body like cortisol and adrenaline while also stimulating the human body’s mood boosters and natural painkillers. As physical activity is performed on a consistent basis these trends improve and thus exercise is effective in relieving symptoms of depression and anxiety, positively impacting mental health and bringing about several other benefits, such as the following.
- Physical activity has been linked to the alleviation of depression and anxiety symptoms.
- In patients suffering from schizophrenia, physical fitness has been shown to improve their quality of life and decrease the effects of schizophrenia
- Being fit can improve one’s self-esteem.
- Working out can improve one’s mental alertness and it can reduce fatigue.
- Studies have shown a reduction in stress levels.
- Increased opportunity for social interaction, allowing for improved social skills
- To be fit, keep yourself fit.
- Workout at home if you cannot go and exercise at a gym
Mental health is just as import as physical health. As it is said, “A healthy body has a healthy mind”. We should not neglect mental health.